In Minnesota, heating our homes is about more than just comfort. Many families is West Central Minnesota also ask our HVAC professionals for advice on the safety and energy efficiency of heating and cooling systems. When you have to make the choice between furnace repair or furnace replacement, it is usually not an easy one. A furnace is a big investment in your family’s home, that should take some serious thought and research. Before making the decision to repair or replace your home’s heating system, check with an HVAC professional to make sure your furnace is safe, working properly, and assess how energy efficient it is. The next big factor is cost.
Old Furnaces Cost More to Run
- Up to 40 cents on dollar for heat is wasted up and out of chimney
- Can consume over 1200kWh a year, which can cost $100-$300 more annually
- Older furnaces can also pose some health threats
New Furnaces are more Energy Efficient
- Less than 4 cents on dollar is wasted
- Energy efficient furnaces consume 25% the energy as standard furnace
- Newer furnaces are safer and more energy efficient
- The brand we sell and recommend most frequently are Carrier Furnaces.
When to Consider Furnace Replacement Over Furnace Repair
(The average life expectancy of a furnace is 16-20 years)
- If your furnace is less than ten years old, but more than $500 to fix, furnace replacement will probably save you money in the long run
- If you your furnace is over ten years old, and several hundred dollars to fix, furnace replacement will probably save you money in the long run
If you have not had your central heating system checked in the past year, or if you have questions on HVAC equipment or heating repair, please contact Chappell Central today. We can help you determine if it is more cost-efficient to repair or replace your furnace so you are ready for the West Central Minnesota winter. It is much easier to do furnace and HVAC equipment comparison shopping before your equipment breaks down, instead of during an emergency on a cold January night. Chappell Central also has an annual Maintenance and Service plan that can keep your heating and cooling systems running smoothly and avoid surprises.
Chappell Central can help with all your residential heating and commercial HVAC needs, including air duct cleaning, air conditioning systems, heat pumps, geothermal heat, heat recovery units, and air duct repair.
Many of these stats came from the Minnesota Department of Commerce Energy Information Center on Home Heating.