In celebration of Earth Day, we have put together a list of ten common sense ways to be kind to Mother Earth by conserving energy. These tips will not only help the environment, but also save you money!
- When you are not using electronics, turn them off.
- Use a programmable HVAC thermostat to set your home to be heated or cooled with your schedule of when you are home.
- When you can, use the natural heat from the sun, instead of artificial heat. Open or close your curtains as needed to use or block the sun as needed.
- Buy Energy Star appliances that are energy efficient. Click here to learn how to read that Energy Guide Label.
- Change filters as suggested for furnaces, air conditioners, humidifiers, etc. so that the equipment runs efficiently.
- Open your windows to enjoy the nice breeze, or use a ceiling fan. Sometimes this can be more enjoyable than turning on the A/C.
- Make sure your equipment is running efficiently. Get your heating and cooling equipment tuned-up and cleaned for preventative maintenance.
- Inspect your air ducts and get them cleaned if necessary.
- Insulate your windows and doors with weather stripping or caulking to prevent heating or cooling loss.
- Go outside, take off your shoes, and take a deep breath! Enjoy the beautiful Minnesota weather!
What else would you add to this list of ways to conserve energy and be kind to Mother Earth? How are you celebrating Earth Day?