Most of us spend a lot of time indoors, especially as the temperatures get cooler and winter sets in. Modern homes can be airtight – we count on them to keep us warm, comfortable and safe, after all. But despite our good intentions, energy efficient homes could also be keeping dangerous air toxins, such as dust mites, mold, secondhand smoke, radon, or carbon monoxide inside. Indoor air pollutants can be especially dangerous to kids, people with allergies or asthma, and the elderly. Some of the effects of repeated exposure to indoor pollutants don’t appear until years later, such as radon.
Here are Indoor Air Toxins you can Avoid or Minimize:
Dust and Pet Dander
Keep your home clean: Use a vacuum with a HEPA filter, followed by a microfiber mop to clean up toxins, pet dander, pollen, and dust mites in your home. A HEPA air filter on your air conditioner and furnace can also help minimize the spread of allergens.
Keep humidity down: Use a dehumidifier, open your windows, and use exhaust fans to keep moisture at 30-50%. Monitoring humidity in your basement and throughout your home will help keep mold and dust mites under control.
Make your home smoke free: If you smoke, consider stopping or commit to smoking outdoors only. Secondhand smoke is particularly dangerous to children living in the home.
Test your home for radon: Radon is odorless, colorless and can be in both new and old homes. The only way to know if your home has radon is to test for it. Radon is a leading cause of lung cancer, second only to smoking.
Use a carbon monoxide detector: Carbon monoxide is deadly and every home should have a carbon monoxide detector for the family’s safety. Ensure your furnace is safe by scheduling an annual furnace tune-up.
If you are concerned about the indoor air quality in your home, contact Chappell Central for help. We can test your air quality for a variety of toxins, and tell you what levels are in your home and how to remedy the problem.